Bernardo is from Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and studied at ELC Santa Barbara for 8 weeks in our Semi-Intensive program. No matter rain or shine, he is always smiling ear to ear! ELC Staff loved Bernardo’s optimistic attitude and interesting conversations. Bernardo did an excellent job of exploring Santa Barbara and joined in on many ELC activities! Read on to learn more about Bernardo!
Where were you born and raised? Give us a mental picture of the place(s).
– I was born in Brazil, and live in the city of Belo Horizonte, located in the state of Minas Gerais.
What do you do for fun? What are your hobbies?
– I watch movies, play video games, and I play soccer.
What is your profession? What do you like about it?
– I am a high school student. I like to learn new things.
Tell us about your family, do you have kids? Siblings? Do they live close to you?
– I have one sister. She lives with me and our parents.
Why did you choose to study English in Santa Barbara? Did you consider other options?
– I wanted to go to California, and my parents recommended a small city.
What are all the ways that Santa Barbara is different than your city/town?
– It is much smaller, it has beaches, and it does not have many residential buildings.
What were you most surprised to learn about the US or Santa Barbara? Did you experience any culture shock?
– In the US, people don’t celebrate special occasions like people in Brazil
What do you miss most about your country?
– I miss the climate. Brazil is warmer (especially since it is Summer now in Brazil).
What are your top three favorite places in Santa Barbara?
– My favorite places are Paseo Nuevo, the beaches, and the hills
Where have you found the best food from your country in Santa Barbara?
– The Brazil Arts Cafe has the best Brazilian food.
– My conversation skills classes.
What are some tips you have for people who want to learn English?
– People should practice a lot.
What are your plans after ELC?
– I plan to finish high school.